Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 26 - Empowerment

As I've followed my weight and watched the beer and fast food melt off of my body over the last few weeks, I feel a little like the witch of the west. "I'm melting, I'm melting!" A whole new exterior AND interior are revealing themselves. I feel a bit like I'm being transformed into Tigger, just bouncing around all lightweight with bundles of energy. Or maybe a more appropriate analogy is from the wicked witch of the west to:


The point is, I feel lighter, more energetic and overall happier. It's a bit like floating around on air. I've been thinking about the reasons for the happiness part. Obviously, I'm lighter because I'm lighter. I suspect the energy is a mix of being lighter, stronger and eating foods that my body digests easier and transforms into energy more efficiently. As far as the happiness, my theory is as follows....

I think the most important part of this project is the sense of control and empowerment that it gives those of us doing it. Here, I'm going to use weight as an example but I want to be very clear in saying that this is the least important aspect of this project, it's just the easiest to quantify. When I was 21, I weighed about 98 lbs, but it was an unhealthy 98 lbs. I drank a lot, ate badly and worked out regularly but with no consistent program. For lunch on most days, I only ate a yogurt and a Nature Valley granola bar. That's it. I was hungry a lot, and I stayed small. Then, I joined Peace Corps, gained about 17 lbs, came home, worked out, lost 9. I stabilized at 108, drinking semi-heavily and eating poorly. I'm lucky to have a fast metabolism. I've been 108 for about 8 years. I'd accepted that this was it. I could not change my body...I was meant to have the small layers of fat on my butt and tummy.

Ah, but with this project, I have discovered that this is not so. I do have the power to alter my body into a stronger, leaner, fitter machine. Certainly, I have a body type, it's mine, I will never look like this:


Unless, I get a boob job, and that just isn't happening. However, I don't have to feel lethargic and frankly shitty all the time. I don't have to be tired, and I don't have to carry around 10 extra pounds of fat if I don't want to. I, and only I, have the power to actually transform my body into the body I want it to be...think of what I can do with the body I'm creating right now! I've always dreamed of being proficient at some form of martial arts or dancing. I love modern, interpretive dance. This slender, bird frame is perfect for training in real dance techniques. A new hobby perhaps? This is empowerment. This is where that feeling of happiness is coming from...I feel in control of my destiny. What this project is showing me can be translated into all aspects of my life, one step at a time. Certainly, there are limits and a certain amount of luck and circumstance mixed in. Still, I am in control of myself, how I react to situations and the decisions I make that effect my future. So, out of all the gifts the Peak Condition Project will give me, I believe that this sense of empowerment is the most important and crucial aspect.

Oddly, I woke up in a real shitty mood this morning. My work out and a great phone conversation with a friend improved my mood exponentially. I haven't had my indulgence yet. I'm saving it for after the Peachtree Road Race on the 4th, but I have it planned. My friend and I have a ritual after the Peachtree, Waffle House and beer. My indulgence will be one sausage, egg and cheese sandwich at Waffle House and a beer. I know, we were warned that the beer will make us sick. But, dude, the warning just makes me want to drink a beer and see if it's true. Livin' on the edge, baby! Livin' on the edge!

5 comments:

  1. Jenny, I really like reading your blog! Your blog is a source of my inspiration.
    -I am in control of myself, how I react to situations and the decisions I make that effect my future.

    I am saving my indulgence for NY trip. I think I am going to have a glass of wine for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diggin it. Yes. It feels absolutely beautiful right now. especialy after indulgence day I realize how much more fulfilled I am on my day to day life at the moment. This pcp is rather delicious at this moment in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the same thing I found when I did PCP 0. And I was like, "I've gotta let people know about this!" Glad that everyone's feeling the energy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny - so true! so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I've read it several times now. This helps me see the PCP in terms of health more than weight, because even though you don't have much weight to lose, you're still seeing lots of benefit from doing this. Thanks for giving me a big hit of positivity!

    ReplyDelete