Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 25 - Dude! & Sweet potatoes

Is it just me or is blogger being a real pain in the ass? Maybe it's just my internets.....

Let's see if I can actually get a post out. My comments haven't been taking. Perhaps I'll have to go out and start jumping as opposed to sitting here and cursing at my computer. "What? What do you mean you can't connect to ~insert random blog~??? Do it, Safari, or I will put you in a world of hurt!" Safari just continues to mock me. Let's try Elena's newest post again....Success! Woot! I like it when my threats work. Be back to finish soon....

Ah, I likes when internets does mah bidding. My real topic of today's post is SWEET POTATOES. My ex-roomie, the infamous Michael Van Patrick Lemons, ate sweet pototoes (and watermelon) like it was his last day on Earth and if he didn't eat all of it then, he'd never eat it again. And, you know what, Mike is cut, lean and honestly, doesn't consciously workout often. I mean, he's active but it's not like he was ever lifting weights or purposefully strength training. Now, I understand, it was diet. Mike, may not have been the best at doing the dishes, but by God, he had the food right!

If YOU have not gotten some sweet potato in your life, DO IT NOW. Seriously, I made some of that sweet potato whipped with lime and cayenne thing. It's da bomb! I shoveled it in by the spoonful until my weighed bowl was empty and I longingly looked at the tupperware container for more. But, no! b/c I also had kale steamed, then sauteed in garlic, a couple sundried tomatoes, a little olive oil and crushed red pepper, then added some red wine vinegar for an extra kick. Also, divine.

Elena, please keep the food pictures and posts coming...you are my food inspiration. I go to your blog constantly for ideas. And, Royce, I picked up some red quinoa b/c you are always eating quinoa and I've NEVER had it. I plan to make a quinoa tabouleh this weekend.

Alrighty, I really do need to go work out now! And, btw, seriously, thanks for the shout-outs on your blogs. Knowing that my ability to enjoy pain inspires y'all to embrace the pain inspires me to work even harder and really push through those lasts reps in a set. It's like a vicious inspiration cycle....or beautiful inspiration circle...or something like that.

Update: V-sits may be the perfect form of torture. Honestly, I had to laugh at myself as I tried to do a perfect 2nd set, an exercise in futility really. At least it was comical. Floor jumps, fun, but ouch, and they were really scary to my cat. Chicken wing...I'm going to share this b/c I've noticed this weakness in myself a lot in the shoulder exercises. Be careful not to bend your wrists. If I don't pay close attention, I bend them and it totally changes the exercise. Straight wrists = intense burn. Bent wrists = no burn. Hopefully, I didn't pre-empt any pro-tips. :) Speaking of pro-tips, do you seriously get a headache if your heels touch when jumping rope or are you just making that up to be sure that we're reading the pro-tips?

And, I did ONE of Mrs. Obama's criss-cross moves! But, ha, it was hard. Must keep practicing for fun.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, you did the criss-cross move! Amazing! I need to keep trying.
    Also, SO glad you're trying some of my PCP 'recipes'. I will definitely keep posting, don't you worry. Especially while in Wisconsin, I cook like a madwoman there, so be ready for new ideas this next week.
    One new tip: caramelize a bunch of onions and throw a little bit of them on your food during the week - salads, fish, veggies, etc. a great tasty bonus to most anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy, new exercises today! I haven't done my workout yet this morning but we'll see how it goes later on...

    THANK YOU for the reminder about sweet potatoes! I had completely forgotten about them, although I used to eat them all the time. I'll be picking some up later today...

    Keep that positive energy coming! It helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what kinda sweet potatoes y'all get (or are they yams...? Todd and I had debated this endlessly) but in Japan we have awesome satsumaimo; purple skin, yellow creamy meaty potato goodness on the inside. Totally brilliant steamed, or grilled, or baked...there are entire tribes in some 3rd world countries that eat basically nothing but sweet potatoes: HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes our satsumaimo is great!
    "Ishiyakiimo" ( baked sweet potatoes ) is yam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll keep a look-out for them. I think I've seen them somewhere around here...

    ReplyDelete