Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 12 - Blueberries and balance


I went blueberry picking Thursday evening with some friends. Last year, they found this old run-down blueberry farm that is no longer in operation. It's semi-guarded by a couple of hippies that squat the land and live in a bus (that no longer runs, of course). So, we had to pay a price to pass..let's just say we gave them a little bag of happiness. And, they were happy! They felt so generous after receiving their gift that they even showed us the beginnings of their bamboo sweatlodge, complete with the cutest little alter ever! Maybe it's the hippie inside of me, but I like the fact that even in US cities (Gainesville is good size), there are places where people can squat and eek out a living on the land. Personally, I wouldn't choose their lifestyle, but their camp was tidy and clean. They were rough looking dudes and perhaps a bit slow after years of drugs, but they were super nice and generous. Anyway, please refer to pic for my blueberry haul! Woot! I LOVE blueberries!! These should last me for a little while....

Now, I want to reflect a bit on my focus activity, balance. The beginning of this week was difficult. I just wasn't prepared enough for the switch in diet and found myself running out of time to do all that I need to do, including work, keeping my house & garden/yard, working out and prepping food while also trying to maintain a social life. My sleep has suffered, and I know this is something I'm going to need to remedy as the weeks continue. Honestly, I haven't felt overly tired...except Wednesday when I was totally grouchy because I'd only slept 4.5 hours the night before. I don't like getting less than 7 hours sleep. But, part of this project is finding that happy medium, that balance in life. With that in mind, I decided to say no to some movie watching at a friend's house and stay home tonight, to read and rest. I need the rest.

Patrick, this is for you, in reference to your email this evening. I want you to know that I had muscle failure on almost every exercise this morning. When all was said and done, I just layed on the floor like a puddle of mush after screaming through the last of my sit-ups. When I say scream, I don't mean fast like lightning, I mean curse at the ceiling. But, I did it and it hurt. I meditated on the floor until I felt I was ready to move my muscles again. It was an intense workout day, and I NEED my rest tonight. I can't wait to crawl into that beautiful bed.

Last thing...got this easy, quick recipe from a friend. Cottage cheese, avocado, cracked black pepper and Mrs. Dash table blend (no salt!, no MSG!)...it was a great snack and would be awesome for breakfast!

5 comments:

  1. No one has a completely smooth second week of PCP. You're changing the way you do an integral part of your day, eating, so there's bound to be some adjustment time.

    Keep failing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Failure is GOOD! I'm happy to report that, at Day 60, I'm still fail'n away at a good chunk of the exercises. Failure=success! It's how you know you've pushed yourself to your current (and temporary) limits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well put, Brett! I'm going to keep that in mind.

    Jenny, you cracked me up with your "bag of happiness." That's the way to get a hippie's attention! Those blueberries look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh god, i wish i had some blueberries right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Blueberry picking sounds fun and to meet hippies!
    Blueberries are very expensive in Japan...

    Push myself to my current limits!!!

    ReplyDelete